ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KRR
KRR
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?
Nikon Suicide or Not?
Jan 19, 2013

Filmshooters are routinely laughed at by cocky digital snapshooters. (Tyranny of the majority.) There is unjustified tension between the two. But why? Why can't we have both film and semiconducters?

This brings me to my question. Why would Nikon reduce their film offering to only 2 models? Look at their catalog and note that Nikon seems to be leading the charge for digital. Why would not Nikon and the color labs fight hard to promote film and keep film viable with professional photographers and artists?

Why is Nikon committing suicide?

I have the answer. Most manufacturers and color labs are going with the herd because they are lazy and lack the confidence for creative marketing. There is no valid reason to kill film.

So, why are they doing it?

Because sales & marketing departments of many manufacturers have contradictory objectives; some of which are short-term (make the month) and others are long-term (build brand image). The camera manufacturers are creating the conditions for their own demise by feeding the beast--the mass market is a self-centered mistress.

Nikon's camera division will be dead in 5 years and it will be their own fault, so don't let them blame Apple or telephones. Nikon walked away from their independent dealers to promote pink cameras to teenaged girls. Nikon got seduced by the volume from amateur snapshooters on Facebook.

Leica and Fuji are positioned to be the goto brands for real photographers while snapshooters will continue to gravitate to the toy cameras. Nikon is too inept to split their merchandising into two groups with unique promotional needs.

Nikon marketing is inept.

Color labs  and film manufacturers should have teamed up but they lacked the creative energy to think outside the box (sorry for the cliche'). If you want to understand the crisis in camera business, just go back to the 1980's and study what killed American TV companies. History is repeating itself. I know, I was there. I saw firsthand, the circuitcityfication of the TV industry. Commodity products reduce profits and margins and eventually eliminate brand loyalty which, by definition, leads to price sheet whores. Fuji and Leica are the only two brands with the stones to offer product differentiation to the zombie marketplace. Bravo Leica and Fuji.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow