ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Iceman1973
Regular MemberPosts: 161
Like?
Advice on purchase of 6D
Jan 19, 2013

Hi everyone,

I have been looking at pictures, results and reading reviews on the 6d for quite a while now.

I used to own a 60D, but then I got the  Fuji x100 and x10 which ended my time with the 60D. From then I'd made a promise to myself that if I ever buy full frame it will be a canon. At first I looked at getting a 5d classic - used, but then I thought maybe not. I'm by no means a pro photographer, I'm still learning, and do not really have any intentions to take photography as a career. I am a graphic designer by profession, who's been working in the signage and branding industry for over 20 years. So with my background in graphics, photography is a hobby that gets my mid away from all the pressures of everyday work and stress... my wife calls it therapy.

I cannot afford to spend bundles, but I wouldn't like compromising on quality either. The 5d3 is not for me. I want to be able to carry the camera around with me when I'm out and about with my 5 year old - usual trips to park or just a day / weekend out and not have to feel the bulge. (i know its no x100 weight, but till it shouldn't feel like baggage)

I'm quite happy with the results I see from the beatiful pics posted in this forum. And since this will be my first full frame, I know ther will be a learning curve. (when I go back t using my OM10 with a 50 1.8, the depth of field still blows me away)

Lens wise I will definately get the 85mm 1.8. I prefer shooting at this FL. It's the zoom that confuses me. Should I just buy the 24-105 kit?? Dont know how good that lens is. Or just get the 24-105 and a 50 1.8 - some advice on this would greatly appreciated. The trouble with zoom lenses is I'm so used to shooting with prime lenses, that zooming with my feet has become like 2nd nature (thanks to fuji), and the last i tried a 18-55, I was either at 18mm or 55mm most of the time.....

Can any of you be kind enough to help me with this lens selection, especially the 24-105 as it's bundled with a 6d kit. Also how easy is it to adapt old school manual lenses on the 6D? Do they perform as good???

Thanking you in advance.

IM

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow