7D to 6D - focus recompose

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Noogy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,464Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D to 6D - focus recompose
In reply to romamor, Jan 19, 2013

Used the focus point on top of the one at the center in taking this photo (hence feel free to check if the cherry on top of the ice cream float was on focus). It is not true that focus points outside of the one on the center are not useful. The one on the center is really responsive, but it does not mean the ones around it are laggards.  Btw this was taken with 50mm f/1.4 USM.

romamor wrote:

I am considering trading in my 7D for the 6D. I use the 24-105 F4 IS L, the 70-200 F4 IS L, the 50 1.8 lenses and do mostly portrait, street, and travel photography. I seldom if ever shoot sports and action (beyond models on the catwalk :-). I seldom use manual focus, outside the occasional studio shot.

I must say that I am in love with the 7D outer AF points and the ability to place the outermost one in portrait mode on the eyes and not having to recompose. Focus for portraits is fast and easy, even at shallow DOF. Even for fast moving models once the focus is locked on the eye I can count on a good shot, even with the outer AF points, especially with the 70-200 F4 IS.

That being said, I am a bit concerned that the 6D might be a step back in that I will now have to mostly use the center point and recompose the shot, for portraits or for subjects framed off center. Also the fact that the outer AF points cover less area means that even when using the outer AF I might still need to recompose the shot.

So my question is, if I get the 6D, would I have to get used to using focus recompose, perhaps to a lesser extent with the outer AF points?

Also, I'd love to know how many of those who respond use exclusively the center AF point and focus recompose.

-- hide signature --

Insight in Sight.

-- hide signature --

JCC
"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow