Fotodiox FD-NEX: Manual Exposure & Aperture Control Question

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Questions thread
Radu Iordache
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
Re: Fotodiox FD-NEX: Manual Exposure & Aperture Control Question
In reply to psrkn, Jan 19, 2013

psrkn wrote:

I have an NEX-F3 and use a Fotodiox FD-NEX adapter for a Canon FD 85mm f1.8 SSC Len. I am having a problem the aperture control in manual exposure mode. No matter what aperture value, I set it to e.g 1.8, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, or 16, the brightness of the image is the same with the fixed value of shutter speed and ISO number. I lined up the aperture value with the brown line on the lens body.

The aperture ring has 'A' lock with a button below it. So, I assumed that the smallest aperture is 16 for any P, A, or S shoot mode. Am I corrected?

I realize that the camera has to be set to "release without Lens". How do I know what aperture value had been set to at the time I pressed the shutter release button?

Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding.

The camera will not set your aperture. You have to do this by turning the aperture ring of the lens to the desired value. The adapter has to be set (turned) to "LOCK". In this way you control the aperture diretly by turning the aperture ring. You can check if this works wothout the camera, just by looking at the lens mounted on the adapter and turning the aperture ring.

The "A" mode on the aperture ring is useless because the camera has no control over the lens.

In a corect setup, if set to program A (on camera, not on lens) the camera adjust the shutter speed according to the amount of light that is coming in. So, the brightness remains because the camera compensates the smaller aperture opening by a slower shutter speed.

You can adjust the brightness by setting an exposure compensation value or by swithcing to M mode.

Hope it helps.

Radu

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow