35mm 1.8 OSS Test

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,900Gear list
Like?
Re: 35mm 1.8 OSS Test
In reply to Pal2012, Jan 19, 2013

Pal2012 wrote:

Cannons 24 F2.8 has IS $850 It might not be as fast and it may not be a Zeiss, but I think most admit that the E-mount Zeiss is actually closer to good Cannon glass than a real good Zeiss , yet here we are on our non stabilized Nex bodies and $1000 for IS on a lens is too much to ask?

I largely use an RX1 at that focal length, but I have nothing but good things to say about the Zeiss 24. Like I noted, it can focus very close (6") so there are shots I can get with the Zeiss that the Canon you note just can't do. I flirted with a Nikon D600 and the new Sigma 35/1.4 for the same focal length as the Zeiss 24. The Sigma 35 is $900 and it's minimum focusing distance is nearly twice as far back as the Zeiss so I lose out on a lot of shots going that route. For example, from exactly 6" away with the focus on the autumn leaves the Zeiss captured this:

I like those kinds of shots (or food shots, too). Some people don't want or need closer range. But I don't think it's productive to compare Emount lenses to Canon or Nikon prices because Sony clearly charges a premium for Emount lenses compared to the bigger DSLRs (and rarely is a direct comparison possible - the lens you noted loses about a stop of light). Sometimes we get OSS on Emount lenses and other times we just get smaller size compared to the Nikon or Canon equivalents. But the market seems to justify the price of the Zeiss so that will keep the price high for a long time, I suspect. And Emount won't go anywhere when a FF NEX emerges because most NEX users have no intention of spending the amount required to go FF even if many here will do it. People shooting APS-C will still want quality AF lenses. And people who don't need or want AF can easily find a worthwhile 24 to use instead of the Zeiss 24.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow