Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gnath11
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Thinking about DA 18-135mm while happy shooting with K-5 + DA 40mm f/2.8
Jan 19, 2013

I am not particularly hooked to any brand although most of my gear is Canon, including a recent purchase of 6D. I have always been fascinated by Pentax brand, particularly the lenses. I bought a K-5 with DA 40mm f/2.8 about six months ago. Since then, I used it along with a Sony NEX-5 with 18-55mm kit zoom lens for tarvel with my family members. This has been a good combination as me, my wife or my daughter used the Sony leisurely and more frequently while I used K-5 + 40mm f/2.8 when I felt like a 'photographer'. So my recent experience with three wonderful cameras, the K-5, Sony NEX-5 and the Canon 6D enables and qualifies me to give this opinion. The K-5 is the most versatile, rugged and light weight camera for travel that I used so far. And with DA 40mm f/2.8, you can become a minimalist but very effective photographer. That little lens is a gem. I have attached some pictures. But I am thinking about to add a nice zoom like 18-135mm to be more versatile. While I know enough to not compare a prime with a zoom, the 18-135mm has some shortcomings that still keep me from not buying one. From numerous pictures on Flickr, I am convinced though of one thing. The Pentax DA 18-135mm has the best color rendition among the same category of lenses from Sony, Canon or Nikon. And its center resolution is excellent. So while I keep thinking, I continue to get out with my K-5 with little 40mm on it and click, click. Even my recent Canon 6D, which is light for a FF camera, does not get that kind of attention when it comes to travel. I feel so uncluttered, solid, assured and minimalist with this terrific combo of  K-5 + DA 40mm f/2.8.

Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow