35mm 1.8 OSS Test

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,322Gear list
Like?
Re: 35mm 1.8 OSS Test
In reply to Pal2012, Jan 19, 2013

Pal2012 wrote:

Sharpness, this had me all over the place.

I wanted the Z24/1.8 but then the kit 18-55 is Very sharp at 24/5.6, ok its not so fast, its also not $1000 and it has OSS.

Then the 35 comes along and from what I have seen on every test its not so sharp wide open, but as someone else pointed out niether is most any consumer grade lens sharp wide open.

The 24 is sharp but not exceptionaly, its fast but yet "slow" because it doesn't have OSS (for certain conditions).

Tell me those photography conditions. Tell me what shutter speed you want to shoot using OSS that requires you to go below about 1/20 (1/20 without OSS is pretty easy with the Zeiss 24). When you do, you'll find motion blur in people or wind blowing bushes or tree leaves, etc. and OSS does not help with those issues. OSS is wasted on wider angle lenses unless you're shooting video.

As for sharpness . . . SLRGear notes, "The Sony 24mm ƒ/1.8 is very sharp indeed, even when used wide open at ƒ/1.8. It's not tack-sharp corner-to-corner at that aperture, but it offers a large area of central sharpness with only light corner softness."

And, a person shooting at f/1.8 is almost certainly not concerned about corners anyway.

But the ZA24 is also about character, not just sharpness. It can shoot near macro shots and has very pleasant out of focus areas.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow