35mm 1.8 OSS Test

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Re: New theory ... ?
In reply to blue_skies, Jan 19, 2013

blue_skies - I don't see all that much "softening" on Lee's sample. I see spherical aberration and CA, leading to a loss of contrast and funky coloration. I've taken the liberty of converting the comparison to grayscale and then bumping up the contrast of the 35:

As you can see, there isn't a huge difference in pure sharpness...only in apparent sharpness. I suspect that on a different subject, the issues of the 35 would be much less obvious. And let's also consider the fact that a fast 50mm is one of the "easiest" lens designs out there, and that one should probably expect it to perform a bit better.

As for the people wondering about the Sigma...if sharpness is your only concern, the Sigma's a no-brainer as it's 1/3 the price of the E35. Super, super sharp. It has its own optical issue, being relatively correctable CA, but in terms of delivering detail it's fantastic. My real problem with it is that it's got no "character" at all. Microcontrast - the thing that seems most typically to signify "character" - is nothing to write home about, and with a max aperture of f/2.8 you have a lot less creative room than you would with the 35. I'm not really one for constantly using a narrow DoF and obliterating backgrounds, but one of the more subtle disappointments of the Sigma 30 is that DoF falloff is very slow, which tends to take a lot of the potential "punch" out of certain images. That's a subjective impression though, obviously!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow