50% Gray in RGB, Lab ang Gray-gamma 2.2: why are different?

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 12,205
Like?
Re: Here's Why
In reply to technoid, Jan 19, 2013

technoid wrote:

The basic problem is that the idea of 50% gray is one of perception. It is not objective. For intance, the so-called 18% Gray card has a Lab L=50. That is approximately percieved as being a middle gray but only 18 photons out of every 100 are reflected which is where the 18% comes from. If you look at a Gray patch that reflects 50% of the light hitting it it looks like an extremely bright gray and appears much closer to white than black even though it is technically right in the middle.

The sRGB value that corresponds to a patch that reflects half the light hitting it is (288,288,288). The purpose of the Gamma curve is to approximate the human perception of light which is highly compressed.

The relatively small variations that occur between sRGB, Gamma 2.2 (which isn't the same as the sRGB tone curve), and the more complex Lab are in large part because there is no precise way to measure human perception of brightness. They are all approximations.

I really should not post in this thread due to my limited level of understanding the details.

The OP evidently has listed RGB Values as reported by a Photo Editing software such as Photoshop -- However, you have discussed Human perceptions of brightness. The RGB readings listed (some being different and of course three sets of RGB Values are listed but how are the measurements being different related to your mentioned "human perception of brightness" since the differences are the above measured values rather than opinions of one's vision of these three.

Also, I don't see any mention of the OP using an 18% Gray Card to create these different patches so are you effectively indicating the Patches that were created as explained by the OP can (or do) only reflect 18% out of a possible reflection of 100 %.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow