Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,428
Like?
RX100 Belt Case Roundup
Jan 19, 2013

Over the last couple of weeks since getting my RX100 I have amassed five RX100 belt cases in the search for my ideal belt case. These have all been purchased on recommendations I've seen on the various RX100 case threads on this forum. Unfortunately where I live there have been none of these cases available in local camera shops, so I haven't had the opportunity to try them before purchasing.

Having all these cases on hand I thought I'd do a roundup with some photos in case it's of any

benefit to others.

I actually found a couple of the cases didn't fit at all. I do have Richard Franiec's grip on my 
RX100 though, and even though it doesn't actually add anything to the overall width and depth of the camera it will obviously make some difference for a tight fitting case.

The Candidates

SIDE VIEW - Clockwise from top left: Cute C4, Lowepro Santiago 20, Kata DF-406, Lowepro Ridge 30, Case Logic Pro Point & Shoot

Cute C4

The RX100 is a perfect fit for this case and being made of leather it feels and looks great. Not as much protection/cushioning as the other cases, but the leather offers reasonable padding and ensures the RX100 in case is a very compact package.

The only negatives are that the flap covers over the top but leaves a gap at the sides so the case closed it not completely sealed. Also, I do notice the ridged lens ring of the RX100 does grip slightly on the leather case as you take it out, but it is soft leather so I don't think this is a real problem.

A great fit and being such a small case it's very comfortable having it on your belt without getting in the way.

Lowepro Santiago 20

There's no way I would want to try squeezing my RX100 into the Santiago 20. It would be too tight even without Richard Franiec's grip.

Kata DF-406

Quite a bulky case but lots of padding and the RX100 fits perfectly. This is also the only case in this set that has a belt strap that allows you to take it off without needing to undo your belt.

Lowepro Ridge 30

Zipper won't close without a squeeze, so it's uncomfortably small for my liking (my Richard Franiec's grip obviously doesn't help). This case has a major flaw in that it only has one zip that zips all the way around to the bottom, so you can't leave the wrist band hanging out the top for easy access.

Case Logic Pro Point & Shoot

A big, bulky semi-hard case, but surprisingly the RX100 is a bit of a squeeze closing the case due to the excessive amounts of internal padding. The padding is very soft so I don't think it's a major problem, just not a comfortable fit for my liking.

Conclusion

I'm very happy with the Kata DF-406 and the Cute C4 - haven't settled on one yet as they both have different strengths. The Cute C4 is a great case to walk around with on your belt, but sometimes I feel a bit more comfortable with the added protection offered by the Kata.

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow