Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 1,935Gear list
Like?
Do we value cameras as tools or objects? New exhibition asks the question
Jan 18, 2013

What are your thoughts on this latest posted DPR article? I'll come out on my cameras certainly being fetishes. As a photo retailer I witnessed the transformation in customers many times, as they got caught up in the esthetic and functional beauty of the equipment in their hands. I believe this may partly be the reason for so many on photo discussion boards passionately defending their choice of brand and model. Sometimes our relationships to cameras and lenses is defined in terms of love affairs, infatuations or longterm relationships. I remember the tactile and visual experience of unboxing my X10 recently. When in the field with it, these qualities almost eclipse its functionality at times. Bordering on idolatry, or is "fetish" a better word? The folks at Fujifilm have done a fine work in this little piece. I can't imagine what a Leica M might do!

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix L610 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF
Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow