Nikon's cameras more weather resistant than Canon?

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Johan01
Regular MemberPosts: 459
Like?
Nikon's cameras more weather resistant than Canon?
Jan 18, 2013

Now, I consider the D4 and 1DX to be equals in terms of weather proofing.

How about the models one step down such as D800, 5D3, etc?

I've been shooting Canon for something like 17 years and finally have good reason to try out Nikon. I've been waiting for a Nikon 70-200 F4 to make it even feasible to go with Nikon for my backcountry landscape photography. Looks like it is the best landscape tele ever made to this date.Toss that in front of a 36MP sensor... droooooooool...

One thing I have seen first hand and read in forums is that the non 1D Canon bodies are sometimes really shoddy in extreme cold and wet. I've seen several 5D2 units shut down just below 30deg F.

That article put out a while ago on the Antarctic adventure, and all the pooped Canon bodies, kinda got me thinking.

One thing I don't see often are complaints of Nikon gear such as the D700 and D800 ever having issues with weather. That's rather appealing to me. Canon's great customer service can't help at all when you're out in the bush.

What's you experience with the mentioned Nikon cameras and durability in extremes?

Thanks!

Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D C Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow