Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Optical1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,030Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7~14mm or Olympus 12mm ?
In reply to slimandy, Jan 18, 2013

slimandy wrote:

BingoCharlie wrote:

Why not rent for your big trip and decide on your purchase later?

Thats a good call t.b.h. but I'd rather buy and try. I don't mind chopping and changing a bit but it's cheaper to get it right straight off! I can borrow a 7~14 but I can't borrow a 12 to compare it to. I'm already thinking the 7~14 is bigger than I want and it doesn't take filters, but if the 12 is not significantly better than the kit lens I'll skip it and see what crops up down the line.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

First off, welcome to the forum.

One lens that I believe you may be dismissing is the Olympus 9-18, which would almost perfectly replace your Nikon 17-35 with an 18-36 focal range.  While there are some who criticize its IQ, it is actually a very good performer.  It is also tiny.  I also have the 12mm, and it is a notch better than the 9-18, but I still use my 9-18 regularly.  For low light, the 12mm cannot be replaced with either the 7-14 or 9-18.  The 12mm also handles flare much better than either of the other two.

The only other correction is that the 12mm is better optically than the 12-50mm.  I have what I consider to be a very good copy of the 12-50 and the 12mm is noticeably better.  The 12-35 from panasonic is much closer to the 12mm, but I would still give a slight edge to the prime.

If it were me, I would start with the 9-18mm and add either of the other two to complement it depending on your needs.

-Kiel

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Olympus PEN E-PM1 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow