Nikon 50mm 1.4D Auto Focus Need Help

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
MarceloLI
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,808Gear list
Like?
Steve Bingham
In reply to Steve Bingham, Jan 18, 2013

Steve Bingham wrote:

It looks like the top one was taken with a 70-200mm, not a 50mm.

Yes, it was a mistake I posted the wrong picture, my intention was to post this one at 1.8:

The remaining have an ISO of 500 and a shutter speed of 1/4000. Why not use ISO 100 and a shutter speed of 1/800? The higher ISO 500 will make it a little softer.

True but did you had chance to walk on 34st in the middle of those buildings?, I was moving from left to right trying to find a nice angle and background and the exposure change dramatically when you transition from the buildings and the corner of the street where you have a big source of light.

Did you shoot in raw and forget to use USM (unsharp mask)?

I always shoot in RAW and I use unsharp mask in lower levels.

Your co-worker is beautiful. Now you have an excuse to keep shooting her! Suggestion: Have her wear something other than black. Black is hard to pull off without serious lighting.

I am also not sure I would ever want to shot a model in the middle of the street using live view! Yikes. It might be your last live view.

‚ÄčLOL... she is and it is nice to have this kind of help all the time

Lastly, test your lens for concentricity. Find a blank wall, level the camera, open to f1.4 and shoot. Is the left side as sharp as the right side (wide side of the frame)? Keep the camera perfectly level for all three dimensions. A tripod will help. Now shoot a vertical with the same setup. Be sure to have all plains level. Check again for the right side vs left side (which, in fact, will now be the narrow side of the frame). Now you have verification that your lens is concentric - a good thing to know. I have returned more than one lens that had some lopsided focusing issues.

Thank you Steve for your time and advice, this weekend will be my 50mm 1.4 project.

Have a great day.

Marcelo

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

MarceloLI's gear list:MarceloLI's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MiraNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow