Cheap tilt adapters

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,833Gear list
Like?
A few words about Minolta's old lens mounts...
In reply to captura, Jan 18, 2013

captura wrote:

I really like the Minolta mount.

Me too. Minolta's SR/MC/MD mount was one of the first "modern" bayonets, and was significantly nicer to use than the Nikon, Canon, or Pentax (M42) mounts it competed with.  For example, I used to easily and quickly change lenses with one hand using my Minolta XK, while my Nikon- and Canon-using friends went looking for a way to free another hand.  

Minolta MC/MD lenses have the useful property that they essentially default to manual aperture control, which is generally what we want when using them on a NEX. Opposite of Canon FD/FDn, Minolta MC/MD lenses only need a pin for auto aperture.

The weak spot, if there is one, for the Minolta MC/MD mount is that it relies more on springs than other lenses do. For example, a spring in the body mount does the meter coupling for MC/MD, as opposed to the springless Nikon F prong trap (which is touchy about alignment when mounting) -- an irrelevant issue using either lens on a NEX body. More significantly, the spring arrangement in MC/MD lenses seems to have a slightly higher chance of causing problems with a stuck aperture.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yep.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow