So, I'm jumping this wagon. Any advice?

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stilograph
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?
Re: So, I'm jumping this wagon. Any advice?
In reply to lock, Jan 18, 2013

lock wrote:

Stilograph wrote:

Thank you Daniel. The AF-discussion is a good read, I have to bookmark it to dvelve further into the quirks. Alltough, I kind of saw that one coming, since the camera won't allow me to fiddle with the af-points in A-mode. Well, I shoot and recompose usually. But the it would be nice to rely on AF for a change. God knows 5D2 couldnt be trusted sans the center point

I do not understand what you are saying. I fiddle with my AF points in A-mode all the time to prevent using focus and recompose with my faster lenses. Read this : http://digital-photography-school.com/the-problem-with-the-focus-recompose-method.

Of course the AF array is not very wide. But if it's a static object and you are in no hurry, move over to live view. You can use CD-AF anywhere around the frame.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Yeah, I meant that the array is too narrow. It seems easier for now to just use single point until I learn how it actually works.

After a full day out and about with the camera, it seems that the white balance seems to get very confused sometimes with wintery scenes, ie. lots of white with mixed colors in the sky. I'm getting a lot of bluish tint. Not a problem really, I can always go manual.

Are you using AWB ? This is one of the quircks with the D600 AWB. I would go for daylight AWB in stead. Other than that, it works a lot better than my D300 AWB.

AutoWB here. I'll see what gives the best performance. For now it seems i have to learn to use diffrent scenes.

And the metering... yeah. I've settled on slight overexposing. DR is so huge that small errors are easy to correct. And big ones too, I'm yet to see any banding.

My experience is different. First of all, the high DR is mainly stuffed in the shadow parts, at least if you use the standard profile. That's what I use because changing afterwards is always an option. This means it's easier to pick up the shadows than regaining anything from the highlights. I get away with -.3, but in very bright light I tend to go with -.7 if I use matrix.

Here's a good read about Nikon metering, and take notice of the effect of focus and recompose (without locking the metering): http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/30402705

lock

Thanks! Will check this out!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HmmmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow