Does Nikon D5200 have (finally) built-in AF motor/engine?

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Questions thread
azguy
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,115
Like?
Re: plus and minus
In reply to JakeB, Jan 18, 2013

JakeB wrote:

Some lenses I have that are screw drive focus, that I like, are: Nikkor 85mm 1.8D, Tokina 12-24mm f4, Nikkor 80-200mm 2.8 (two ring), and Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro. These are the types of "value" lenses that delivery very good IQ, that D3XXX and D5XXX buyers miss out on.

Wait, what? John, are you saying the Tokina 12-24mm f4 Mark II doesn't have in-lens focusing?

I use it on a D7000 so it doesn't matter to me, but it's something I just never thought about.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Jake

Yes,the Mark II has a focus motor in the lens.  The older version, which I have, does not.  I used to have a Sigma 10-20mm, screw drive.  Same thing, the new model is HSM, with a motor in the lens.  The Tamron 90mm macro is a similar example.  I should have clarified.

My point is that with an in-body motor you can buy any good lens you might find.  In my case, I like to buy the lenses I don't use too often, on the used market, and an in-body focus motor opens up many opportunities.

Thanks for the comment,

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow