Filters and why

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,186Gear list
Like?
For digital; for film
In reply to shibbs, Jan 18, 2013

For digital I think ND filters are necessary---not used all the time but when needed are a must. The same could be said for an IR filter if you don't want to convert a body, although they can be a bit difficult to use in my limited experience.

I used to use a pola filter all the time to enhance skies in color photography, but i don't anymore---the effects were almost too much, and I now feel like I can do much better in PP. But recently I have been thinking about this again since some PP operations can have problematic effects. Of course if you're using it to cut reflections then it's a must.  With art repro I polarize the lights.  Does anyone do the lights and the camera, and why?

I use/have used nothing else with digital. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's still using a CC filter for some lighting issues.

For film I'm still using orange, red and yellow filters for B&W, and rarely green, and then warming(occasionally) and pola filters for color, plus CC filters and ND's. Very occasionally haze filter, although I more often try to capture haze these days, rather than cut it.

Very interested to hear what others are now doing for both film and dig.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow