Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,383Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7~14mm or Olympus 12mm ?
In reply to Anders W, Jan 18, 2013

Anders W wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

While the Oly 12mm is an excellent lens, for low light wide shooting I opted for an SLR Magic Hyperprime 12mm T1.6 (f1.4). At 24mm equivalent using manual focus isn't a big deal and the images it produces have more character than the Oly 12mm, which i find to be rather clinical. At $549, it's also considerably less than he Oly 12mm.

So what you are saying is essentially that the Hyperprime has more optical aberrations ("character") whereas the Oly is pretty much free from them (thus "clinical") and that you prefer the former on that ground?

Yeah, pretty much.

The Oly output just strikes me as cold. I also prefer having a real aperture ring. The Hyperprime's is a stepless aperture ring, which felt a bit odd at first, but I've grown to like it.

So, yeah, go for the 71-4mm!

Oops: 7-14mm.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow