about to purchase a new pro DSLR: Canon MarkD5 IIII or Nikon D800?

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Questions thread
f8BeThereToo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,251
Like?
Opinions Are Like Arseholes...
In reply to Vegasluvr, Jan 18, 2013

... you know the rest! 

If I was in your shoes (and I have been several times during my 30+ photography career: when I purchased my first camera, moving to autofocus and then digital) I would narrow-down your choices and invest a relatively small amount of money in renting the cameras and lenses on your short list.

I would rent each system separately and give yourself enough time to shoot the subjects you usually photograph. (Some pro shops will apply part or all of the rental fee to a purchase at the store. Ask for it; some stores value long-term customers and they know that over time they will easily recoup the rental fees selling you cameras and accessories.)

I would then edit the images/video using your current software and computer system. (You can also demo software you may be considering to purchase.) This second step in the winnowing process will show you if your current computer hardware/software is up to the task or if you need to upgrade.

At the end of the process you should have a very good idea which system is going to float your cork. All things being equal, I go for cameras/lenses that I enjoy using... I want a camera that feels good in my hands, with intuitive controls that facilitate creating images and that limit the amount of time spent navigating menus. Some cameras I have tried I want to put down almost as soon as I pick them up. The keepers generally feel "just right" from the start. A few days spent shooting allows me to time to see how well the controls suit me, the capabilities of the flash system and lenses, the quality of the image files and how well my computer system/software handles the images from each system.

Getting opinions from other photographers can be helpful but people tend to proselytize on behalf of the system they use. After spending thousands of dollars on cameras, lenses and flashes it is simply human nature to justify the purchase and it often comes through in threads like this one. The opinions that I value most are from photographers who have used a system (or more than one system) for a relatively long period of time and who are forthcoming about the positive and negative aspects of the camera system they use.

But in the end what you think about a particular camera system is all that really matters. And the only sure-fire way to make the right decision is to use the cameras yourself. When you figure out the amount of money you are likely to spend over the years, the cost of renting and the time spent demoing it is a drop in the bucket. If you wind up buying a camera based on what you read here and then later regret the purchase, you will probably wind spending more money. And you will have lost time enjoying using the right camera for you... and there is no way to get back that time.

Good luck and have fun!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow