Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,010Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7~14mm or Olympus 12mm ?
In reply to jeffharris, Jan 18, 2013

jeffharris wrote:

slimandy wrote:

I am going to buy an Olympus OMD next week and I have been deciding what lenses to get with it. I use a Nikon D700 with some very nice glass but I want a good quality alternative that will allow me to carry lots of kit without the weight and bulk of an FF SLR.

So, I have been looking at the Olympus 12mm as my wide angle prime but I am a bit concearned that 24mm equivalent is not that wide. I use a Nikon 17~35 on my D700.

How does the Panasonic 7~14mm compare for IQ (to the Olympus 12mm)? I will have a 12~50 kit lens for snap shots so I am only asking about how it compares when I want the best IQ. If anyone has used both I would love to hear from you. How big is the Panasonic?

I realise it is more expensive.

Sure, the 7-14mm is a bit biggeer and a bit more expensive than the 12mm f2, but it's incredibly versatile, can produce amazing images and really is a lot of fun to use. I use it for my design work and for shooting architecture, landscape and even for street shooting.

While the Oly 12mm is an excellent lens, for low light wide shooting I opted for an SLR Magic Hyperprime 12mm T1.6 (f1.4). At 24mm equivalent using manual focus isn't a big deal and the images it produces have more character than the Oly 12mm, which i find to be rather clinical. At $549, it's also considerably less than he Oly 12mm.

So what you are saying is essentially that the Hyperprime has more optical aberrations ("character") whereas the Oly is pretty much free from them (thus "clinical") and that you prefer the former on that ground?

So, yeah, go for the 71-4mm!

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow