Panasonic 7~14mm or Olympus 12mm ?

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,918Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7~14mm or Olympus 12mm ?
In reply to slimandy, Jan 18, 2013

I have both. When it comes to IQ, they are both very good and have roughly the same performance at the same f-stop. So it's a matter of priorities. The 7-14 is the one I got first and is more important to me if I have to choose. I don't need an f/2 WA all that often (though it's nice to have one) and the 7-14 is wider and offers continuous choice of FL. The 7-14 is almost always in my bag whereas the 12 is there only if I foresee very low light or low light with moving subjects.

Here's a recent capture with the 12 wide open at 0.4 s handheld, illustrating a case where the 12 came in handy. I could have gotten this with the 7-14 too, but would have had to crank up the ISO quite a bit (this is at 200). Probably the shadows, which I have pushed a bit here to let the buildings in the background (those without floodlighting) show, would have been considerably less clean.

Tübingen Neckarfront

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow