If you had to start from scratch, what would you do?

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
A Owens
Senior MemberPosts: 2,169
Like?
Re: Is canadian gear repaired in Europe?
In reply to dirkluchtman, Jan 18, 2013

dirkluchtman wrote:

TimR32225 wrote:

rrccad wrote:

dirkluchtman wrote:

I have lived in Alberta, Canada since September 2009, but will leave Canada for Europe summer this year, permanently. In those 4 years, I've had the privilege of acquiring some Canon gear, including a 5D Mark II, 70-200 F4 IS and a Tokina 16-28mm 2.8. I bought all of this while knowing I would have to sell it all when I leave 4 years later, because Canon Canada does not cover repairs and warranty in Europe. I have no regrets though, because the gear allowed me to photograph the beautiful scenery here with near-maximum quality (which is exactly what I wanted). I was never good at saving money.....

this doesn't make sense.

canon europe will service your cameras .. it's nikon that seemingly refuses to service out of market equipment.

I'd save the loses on selling / repurchasing and get a TSE.

Exactly. Your equipment is worth far more in use, than what it would bring if you sell it. I'd say it's a no-brainer to keep your eqipment and use it until you can purchase something to replace it. I think it makes no sense to sell it just because you will pay if you need any repairs. That's the case for everyone after gear is 1-year old.

There are plenty of reasons to upgrade equipment, but so far I don't think you've mentioned any of them.

I was told that I would need to send the Canadian gear from Europe back to Canada, for repair, which has a significant price tag to it, even if it's under warranty. Further, it's unlikely I could sell my gear in Europe (for those reasons) if I wanted to upgrade (to new Canon gear for instance). Does that make any sense?

that is not right, you could easily sell it in Europe or get it repaired for that matter. Probably warranty may be an issue. So I really do think you have a problem.

But to answer your question, I feel you are dismissing the 6d too quickly. It looks like a very good camera to me. Its lack of appealing headline features is a bonus as far as I am concerned. It just looks like a really well honed tool for making images and keeping out of the way.

Unlike the D800e (which I have) and probably the 600 as well.

Alistair Owens
http://www.alistairowensphotography.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OKNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow