Where can I bring my camera in public without looking like a moron?

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Les Berkley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,109
Like?
Re: Where can I bring my camera in public without looking like a moron?
In reply to Cameranoobie, Jan 18, 2013

I guess it's time for the TALE of the DUCK! (puh-KONG)

I was walking along with my Nikon F3 and 105 f2.5 AI. I see an interesting sight across the street, and walk over. "Excuse me," I say. "You appear to have a duck on your head."

"May I take a picture of your duck?" I ask. "It's not my duck," she says with a smile. "It's hers." She pointed to the lady on her right.

"May I take a picture of your duck?" "Of course."

She went on to tall me the tale. She had (informally) adopted a crack addict's child. Child was mentally damaged, withdrawn, possibly autistic. Lady found the duck, and adopted it as well. Turned out to be great for the kid--brought him out, gave him a totally non-threatening friend, etc.

Then the lady's husband turned up, drunk as he could be (at 2 PM). Starts cursing me out for taking a picture of his duck 'without permission'. Threatens me with lawsuits, etc. I laugh it off. He goes on and on. I avoid the impulse to plant a fist in his gut. I walk on. Bystanders are sympathetic to my 'plight'. (Except for Drunk#2, who tells me I can't just take pictures.)

A couple weeks pass. I'm in the same location, and this guy shows up.

"Man," he says. "I couldn't believe that guy with the duck."

Moral? Take the damn camera with you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow