Panasonic 7~14mm or Olympus 12mm ?

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,962Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7~14mm or Olympus 12mm ?
In reply to slimandy, Jan 18, 2013

slimandy wrote:

I am going to buy an Olympus OMD next week and I have been deciding what lenses to get with it. I use a Nikon D700 with some very nice glass but I want a good quality alternative that will allow me to carry lots of kit without the weight and bulk of an FF SLR.

So, I have been looking at the Olympus 12mm as my wide angle prime but I am a bit concearned that 24mm equivalent is not that wide. I use a Nikon 17~35 on my D700.

How does the Panasonic 7~14mm compare for IQ (to the Olympus 12mm)? I will have a 12~50 kit lens for snap shots so I am only asking about how it compares when I want the best IQ. If anyone has used both I would love to hear from you. How big is the Panasonic?

I realise it is more expensive.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

The 7-14 has a constant F4 compared to the Olympus 9-18. Olympus has filter threads the Panny does not, it has a built in hood.  The difference wider than 12 mm and wider than 9 mm on the Panny is a noticeable difference for focal length comparison.

If you are set on the OMD and are ok using Panasonic lenses I would do this differently.

Buy the OMD body only.  Get the 7-14 and 12-35 Panasonic lenses.

Since you are used to FF with the 17-35 you really need to get the 7-14 accounting for the 2x conversion factor for MFT's.  its a 14-28 mm equivalent.

You can consider selling all the Nikon gear to allow a nice MFT's set up if you want to.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow