How much longer will 4/3 lenses be sellable? (second hand)

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
K Mcgregor
Contributing MemberPosts: 765Gear list
Like?
How much longer will 4/3 lenses be sellable? (second hand)
Jan 18, 2013

This is probably the kind of gloomy question you folks are sick of dealing with, especially since there is likely no way to really know the answer. However, I find myself in a dilemma, which possibly quite a few of you are in.

I LOVE my 4/3 lenses and my E520 is an excellent camera which produces pictures I like a lot. However, I am painfully aware that, as things stand, I'm probably at a dead end and will have to sell them and move on to another manufacturer if I want to ever upgrade.

I really don't want to, I love my lenses, especially the 14-54 and 9-18. Olympus is what I want. But I do not think that even if Olympus make an E7 I'd buy one unless it turns out to be cheaper, smaller and generally better than I'm thinking.

What I want is an E720, or an E50- a smaller, cheaper, lighter model than the usually very bulky and very pricey E5-type ones. And so far as I've heard, it's never going to happen.

At the moment, I am content with my E520, but I don't want to get into a situation where there's no upgrade path possible and I have a lot of 4/3 lenses that are then useless to me and unsellable.

I am considering buying the 70-300 lens for my E520, but am held back by the thought that I'm putting more money into a camera system I probably won't ever be able to use with another camera body.

I would be interested in speculation on the longevity of the second hand market in Olympus lenses. Obviously, the E7, if it arrives, will keep things going for a bit longer, though my lenses are more the prosumer sort. But supposing it doesn't, is there some precedent about how long it would take for second hand lenses to start losing all value on a dead-end system?

K Mcgregor's gear list:K Mcgregor's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-520 Pentax Optio E50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow