Phottix Strato II question (mixed manufacture of flash units in the same system!)

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hwg
hwg
Contributing MemberPosts: 507
Like?
Phottix Strato II question (mixed manufacture of flash units in the same system!)
Jan 18, 2013

Phottix Strato II

I have moved to a Nikon system (D300 body, SB800 flash) from a Canon film system (A1 & T90 with a 300TL flash)

It would be good if I could use the Canon flash in my flash system with my D300 & SB800.

It's a good quality flash unit, it would be a shame to waste it.

I intend to use them in manual exposure mode (no TTL on Strato II anyway), remotely on stands with umbrellas.

At some point in the future I will get more Nikon flash guns and retire the Canon unit.

Q1

If I am going to use a Strato II receiver on my Canon flash gun should/could I buy a Canon receiver for it and a Nikon receiver for my Nikon and will they both be triggered by the Nikon transmitter attached to the camera?

This will mean at some point in the future the Canon receiver will be redundant, when I get more Nikon flash guns.

Alternately…

Q2

Could I 'get away' with buying two Nikon receivers and putting the Canon flash gun on a Nikon receiver.

My thought is… as it will be in manual mode anyway then only the centre contact is utilised so it should work??????

Then in the future when I retire the Canon flash I can put the extra Nikon receiver on the new Nikon unit I buy.

I assume the wake up flash function would not work in this situation. But hey!!

Or am I heading for trouble?

thanks

Nikon D300 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow