R and M Lenses on the Leica M 240

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bryan Campbell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012
Like?
Re: R and M Lenses on the Leica M 240
In reply to Dr. Ulrich Rohde, Jan 18, 2013

The 75 summarit and 35 summilux asph seem to yeild the most impressive results. I have seen the 50 summilux asph sharper wide open so I'm wondering if the focus was a little off on some of these? Which ISO were these shot at?

Thanks

Dr. Ulrich Rohde wrote:

I have all Leicas, including the R9 with digital back, up to the M 240, a real delight.
I would also like to thank the management of Leica for the open and productive discussions, Those of you who will decides to get the M 240 will never regret it.
From the zooms so far I like the R 28 to 90 mm best, seems slightly sharper then the TriEmar but much bigger and heavier.
The good news is that all the lenses are very good, I have more R- lenses and M lenses that had time to test, updates will follow.
Later I will run some tests on Zeiss lenses, I only have 21mm, 25mm, and 50mm
As usual this is work in progress , I will need to do more test and I will get both nice and aggressive mail, and provide updates.
I got the subjective feeling that the LV gives a much sharper picture on the display then the sensor ultimately produces.
The Noctilux was somewhat of a headache since the test plane was not perfectly flat, so the focus point was at one of the numbers at the right lower side.
As said, the most modern lenses win, the slight color differences are fascinating.
Also the M 240 was on a tripod, Linhoff, and the electronic viewfinder was used, typically x 5 maginfication
The distance to the test foil was about 1 yard, and the camera setting is gray manual against a filter so the calibration is the same for all lenses.All lenses where wide open
Needless to say the new ASPH lenses top everything., but the 50mm/1.4 non ASPH is not that much different.
In my case I have the standard 28mm/35mm/50 mm lenses , both R an M as well as a 2 R zooms and the TriElmar and some others
http://www.saildragonfly.com/PhotoGalleries/RM-%20Test/index.html
One of the very nice things about the M 240 is that we can now use our R lenses.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow