Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter Patricelli
Regular MemberPosts: 315
Like?
D800 as a pro sports camera - a lens maintenance question
Jan 18, 2013

I am shooting NCAA Women's basketball for the home team from the floor...a sole Nikon in a sea of Canons....quite successfully.

Yes, I know it is only 4 fps but I have learned to direct those shots more specifically rather than use the rattling, continuous machine gun approach I used with the D2X.  To further the anomaly, I am using my old 80-200mm f2.8D....no VR!  With ISO cranked up to 6400 my shutter speeds are running 1/2000-4000 at f4.  The Canon shooters, by comparison, are shooting ISO 1200, wide open 2.8 at 1/800...and using VR.

To my eye, my pictures are absolutely competitive.  One could see them here:

http://flyfishingfotography.smugmug.com/

My question is this:  The 80-200 AF lens is now quite old, has been run hard and put away wet.  I have for the past two shoots had the impression that the AF in the latter half of the game is slowing and having trouble keeping up with the action.  I don't think it is battery drain...over 2 hours and 400-500 images....might be but was not noticeable earlier in the season....but it has me wondering about lubrication and the AF moving parts in the lens.  Do these lenses ever need lubrication maintenance?  I feel like it needs a squirt of oil somewhere....don't worry....not literally going there...but I am asking.

-- hide signature --

Peter Patricelli www.flyfishingfotography.com

Nikon D2X Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow