X100s user manual available ! Worries with minimum focus distance...

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Le Tchetche
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
X100s user manual available ! Worries with minimum focus distance...
Jan 18, 2013

Thanks to Fuji

One of the best reasons for me to upgrade from my X100 to X100s was (from DPR preview) :

• Minimum shooting distance using OVF reduced to 50cm (from 80cm on X100)
  • Minimum focus in normal shooting reduced to 21cm (from 40cm)

as it has been a real pain with the X100 to constantly switch to/from macro when capturing my lovely moving kid and in general to take close portraits...

But now when I read the user manual I get worried with this (p31) :

- "because of parallax, the camera will not focus at distances of less than 80cm when OVF is used" : Come on ! DPR said it was improved to 50 cm !!!

- "The LCD & EVF can be used to focus at short distances when macro mode is not selected, but the time needed to focus increases" : So maybe in the end it will not focus faster than the X100 in this case ? That sounds worrying...

After a few months of usage, now that I understand how AF works with the X100, I find its focus speed acceptable even in low light. So this macro mode was the only remaining AF issue for me and that was what I was the most excited about (on top of enhanced IQ with X-trans) when the improvements were announced for the X100s.

I was ready to pre-order but now I guess I'll have to wait for the first tests to find out how good this works and if it is worth for me to go for the X100s upgrade.

-- hide signature --
 Le Tchetche's gear list:Le Tchetche's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow