Best Macro Lens for D800E

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,468Gear list
Like?
Re: Best?
In reply to pthoutex, Jan 18, 2013

pthoutex wrote:

I bought the Nikon 200mm f/4 Micro last month, but I returned it. Basically I think I would have to use a tripod to use it, I was having trouble getting a good sharp focus on my D800. I was getting blurry shots, and on those that I got sharp focus, it was too narrow, and i was using f/11. A friend of mine that have the same lens told me that he always focus manually and use a tripod. But I was taking pictures of butterflies in the butterfly house, and they were too active flying around! I didn't have this problem with my 70-180mm Micro.

I just returned it and asked to exchange it with the 105mm f2.8 VR Micro. I have not received the lens yet.

Since the need to use a Tripod was the reason you returned the 2000, you'll likely be returning that 105  too.  You need to use a tripod to get good macro shots.  It is extremely difficult to get quality macro shots without one.  If on the other hand you only want/need 1:3-1:4 closeup shots, get any number of lenses and skip the macro.  Just pay attention to minmum focus distance and max magnification (or reproduction ratio).  For butterflys you want a longer MFD as the added working distance will keep you from scaring them away.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow