Olympus OMD Em-5 body + What 1 lens? (45mm or 12-50mm or ???)

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Questions thread
AnandaSim
Forum ProPosts: 13,409Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OMD Em-5 body + What 1 lens? (45mm or 12-50mm or ???)
In reply to ywamer, Jan 18, 2013

ywamer wrote:

I am ready to buy Olympus OMD EM-5, and, although originally planning to buy the kit with 12-50mm lens, I am thinking to buy the body AND a quality lens. On a budget. So that means only one lens.

I was about to grab the EM-5 kit that comes with the weather-sealed 12-50mm. But while reviews seems to be spotty, even the best reviews (i.e. Robin Wong) demonstrate a lack of sharpness in the mid-range.

I have friends (more and more are buying the OM-D) with the kit lens. Yes certainly it is dark but it is sharp enough - it starts from 24mm equiv to 100mm equiv for a low price, does macro, is waterproof. My friend shot me as I was walking up a tower and it is my avatar on Google Plus

Everything I read about the Olympus 45mm 1.8 says it's a sweet, not-too-pricy portrait and general use lens. And there's a $150 rebate right now!

Would it be absolutely wacko for me to buy the OM-5 body and only one prime lens?

No, it is not wacko. But the 45 isn't your general purpose lens unless ALL of your shooting is head and torso portraits. I have it. I love it. But I use the more general purpose 20mm f/1.7 Panasonic more because that is a general purpose focal length.

I don't have the 12-50 or the 14-42 because I promised myself that this type of camera (I have the E-PM2) is for fun with primes more. I do have other cameras and lenses.

AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow