Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tom Ames
Contributing MemberPosts: 728Gear list
Like?
Re: How did we survive?
In reply to nixda, Jan 18, 2013

nixda wrote:

orangganjil wrote:

I was thinking about this today and don't want to seem snarky, but reading through the forums here it makes me wonder how some of those who post here would have fared during the film days. No focus peaking, no auto ISO, being stuck with a specific ISO for a full roll of film, very little dynamic range (Velvia 50, anyone?), an OVF only, no noise reduction, no sharpening, having to use light meters, no histograms, etc.

Instead, pick a roll of film that gives you the color, contrast, speed, and clarity you desire, pop it in the camera, and shoot. Once done, take the slide film to the developer and view the photos on a light table once developed.

We somehow managed.

Doesn't that apply to just about anything, in any era? Cars, Internet, travel, etc. In 30 years our kids will realize that it is possible to have survived 2013.

I can tell you, though, that falling back to the roots isn't always fun. Just try to deal with cloth diapers. But what one doesn't do for the planet... I'm all for embracing the conveniences that modern technology delivers.

Just keep your fingers away from my 50-year old Mauviel copper pans, and my 25-year old Rotel equipment!

I remember when the ATM came, cell phones,Internet, flat screens, computers, etc, etc..

My grandmother still lives and she grew up on an island without electricity, phones or cars.

I agree with Nixda, this apply for all eras. And the old timers (as I am about to become ) remember the good ol' days....

Tom Ames's gear list:Tom Ames's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow