Tatar01
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Re: Sony HX10V disappointment
In reply to Stephen McDonald, Jan 18, 2013

Stephen McDonald wrote:

Tatar01 wrote:

Hello everybody!

I just got my Sony HX10V as an upgrade for my old Sony CyberShot DSC-P200, which was my trusty pocket camera.

I was disappointed in image quality of HX10V. Yes it takes usable shots in the dark situations, but it produces that very annoying watercolour effect, even in a good light with ISO100. This makes the objects look kind of plastic-y.

What would be a better choice in the same category? I'm thinking about Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20. Costco has its non-GPS (DMC-ZS19) version bundle for just under$200 -- the same as I got my Sony HX10V for.

Does anybody have an opinion on this? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

P.S.

I know this is a Sony Cyber-Shot talk, so please my apology if my question is out of place here.

I'm told that the HX20V does better, but with practice you should be able to improve your results with any model. If you keep your shutter speed around the 1/250 to 1/400 level and aperture around F4 to F5 range, this seems to go well with ISO 100 in good light. You may need to adjust the exposure when in sunlight. It usually needs a drop of .3 or .7 in the EV and make sure you hold steady or use a tripod if the light is dimmer.

The users of the RX models seem willing to tolerate a few posts about other cameras here.

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album
My Places on Google Earth Click on My Places on Skydrive

thanks, Steve!
So basically what you're suggesting is always to shoot in manual mode and with those settings?
But back to my initial question -- is this your favorite camera in this class? Have you tried other cameras?
Thank you!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow