Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pasmia
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?
Got the "OK" from the boss for new iMac... but she wants 27"
Jan 18, 2013

So I was all set and ready to go and get a 21" i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion HDD and lo' and behold, no one carries them in stock locally.  By shopping around however (with the wife), we were able to play with the display models on the floor (ironically, one of the models had everything I wanted but they wouldn't sell me the display model).  The wife has since fallen in love with the 27" iMac.  Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled, but I'm still hard-capped at $2000. Unfortunately, everyone was sold out of  any 27" model.

Now that we're home, I need to order 27" iMac and I have no idea how to proceed.

Just a recap.  My primary tasks include Lightroom and Photoshop and a ton of plug-ins.  I do graphic designs via PS and Illustrator.  I'm slowly getting into video editing but my current computer is very limiting and it's too frustrating to learn on.  I'm having a hard enough time dealing with my current computer with PS and LR. I also game, though not hardcore.  I have no problems setting a game below "Ultra" settings (though it would be nice).  I play mostly Blizzard's games and maybe an occasional FPS.

Anyways, I'm sure even a base spec'd mac mini would dance circles around my current computer (White Intel Imac).  I'm more concerned about the video editing and LR/PS running smoothly.

With such a limited budget and buying the 27", I'm sort of limited on choices.  I'm thinking, I can get the 2.9GHz i5 with 1TB Fusion and the 512 video card or I can get the 3.2GHz i5 with a 3TB HDD and 1GB video card.  With the latter option, I would plan on getting an external SSD to create my own Fusion/Hybrid drive in the future.  Also, with the latter option, I could upgrade the video card to the 680MX 2GB rather than get the 3TB HDD.

Anywhom, can I get some advice or pointers?

Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow