Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
jboyer
Contributing MemberPosts: 793Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon G1X Firmware update?
In reply to Marco Nero, Jan 18, 2013

Marco Nero wrote:

Question :

Why no firmware update for the G1X to improve those shortcoming, that should be possible or not, so no improvement intention at all !! was this already a bad sign ? still there's a market for that kind of camera, but it has to be in pair with it's oponents, I would like to have a improved G1X = G2X.

Why do I need a Firmware update?

The G1X focus is speedy and fairly darned accurate. The zoom is responsive and identical in performance to the majority of recent G-series cameras. I don't know what more people want. Is there something that needs to be addressed by a Firmware update?

I've taken THOUSANDS of pictures with my G1X. There's nothing I can think of that actually needs a Firmware update on this camera.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design/canon_g1x

Tongue in cheek... Being over 60 years old, I wear glasses all the time. These are variable focal and my beef is the size of the shoulder strap... it is way too short for me to see the LCD properly when wearing it around my neck... and I cannot figure out how to wrap it around my hand, instead of my neck. Is this a potential for a firmware upgrade?

I took 1,000s of pictures in the last few months and my 7D is gathering dust (figuratively) as I carry the G1 X all the time. My raincoat pockets are large enough for it, so it is a pocket-able camera.

Quality wise, I believe it beats the 7D at 800 to 1600 ISO and the internal RAW conversion is better than excellent, though I shoot RAW most of the time. I prefer the wide angle to the long lens and the G1 X lens fit my preferences perfectly. I will not delve on the amazing IS, having shot, hand held at 1/10 on the long side without any problem.

I went from a Rebel (original) to the 7D in multiple steps and pricey upgrades. I could not figure out why I would spend $600 or more on a G2 X. And I am convinced that Canon knows that.

I want to thank Marco and a number of other forum members that convinced me to buy the G1 X sight unseen.

For those still on the fence I hope it is not a barbed wire one...Current prices are very good and I doubt you will regret buying the G1 X.

-- hide signature --
 jboyer's gear list:jboyer's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow