My "New" 24 mm F/2.8 From KEH

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,251Gear list
Like?
Re: My "New" 24 mm F/2.8 From KEH
In reply to brian14478, Jan 18, 2013

brian14478 wrote:

Do you have a special purpose in mind? landscapes, indoor family/pet shots or multi-pupose?

No, I really don't.

I have the Tamron 90 Micro, Minolta 50 F/1.7, and Sony DT 35 F/1.8 SAM so the Minolta 24 lens just seemed like a good thing to complete the set. My CZ 16-80 is pretty much permanently attached to the camera, so I don't know why I have any of these prime lenses exactly.

Sometimes it just feels good to walk around with a small, light lens that forces me to think about what I'm shooting. Each of these lenses is "faster" than any zoom, but the real speed improvement is in the focus speed. That's only because I don't have to (get to?) select a focal length first, but that's part of the charm (challenge) of prime lenses. The 35 mm lens, and I expect the 24 mm lens, is (are) great for Street Photography, and the 50 mm is pretty much useless to me.

I don't remember what I paid for the Tamron 90, but the other three lenses cost less than $500 all together. If they work for me I'll keep them forever, and if they don't I'll sell them for almost what I paid in a year or three so it's almost like a really inexpensive lease or rental program.

Thanks for asking.

Ray

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow