science project- need equipment to take shots of subject from the exact same angles every week

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Questions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,817Gear list
Like?
Re: science project- need equipment to take shots of subject from the exact same angles every week
In reply to stm08007, Jan 18, 2013

stm08007 wrote:

Sailor Blue wrote:

Here is a simpler and cheaper solution.

Since the object is small I am assuming that the distance the camera will move between shots is small.

Use a sheet of plywood that is thick enough to be ridged, I suggest 1/2" to 1" thick. The sheet should be large enough to hold the object to be photographed and the camera.

Buy a 2-way Macro Shot Focus Rail Slider tripod head such as this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-way-Macro-Shot-Focus-Rail-Slider-tripod-head-for-Canon-Nikon-Camera-DSLR-LP-01-/251149171327?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a79a83a7f

Counter sink a hole in the bottom of the plywood sheet and use a 1/4"x20 thread bolt to secure the slider to the plywood sheet. If the camera can be left in place the simply assemble this and place it on any available surface like a table or laboratory bench. You can add screws or pegs to stop the slider in the two positions you use, allowing you to accurately reposition the camera every time.

If you have to remove the camera then you may need to add short legs so you can access the bottom of the plywood sheet. You can cut another hole in the plywood sheet to allow you to attach and detach the camera.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

so far these ideas are all great and much better than what ive been thinking up

alot of this is going over my head cuz like i said i have no experience with this. so if im understanding this properly, the plywood would essentially serve as a "stage" where the sample's position and tripod would be stored?

also, im not sure if it will change things but the object *must* be stored elsewhere- there is no way any sort of camera equipment will be able to accompany it... imagine like a fridge holding a grape and you needed to take a picture of the grape outside the fridge every so often.. im not sure if that changes the feasibility of the plywood idea

Yes, the plywood sheet is a stage.

I'm trying to keep this a cheap and simple DIY project yet accurate enough that the 3D images won't jump all over the place.  Ideally you should be able to string them together to create a video.

If you must move the object to be photographed then you want to be able to return it to an exact position on the stage.  This means using something like a ceramic plate glued to a small sheet of plywood or a metal plate to hold the object.  Into the small sheet of plywood or metal plate you drill two holes just big enough for a nail to slide through.  Once the ceramic plate & plywood or metal plate are positioned you drive a nail through each hole then cut off the heads of the nails.  These are now alignment pegs for the plate holding the object to be photographed.

Nails with their heads cut off will also make good pegs to limit the travel of the slider rail - better than the screws or wooden pegs in my first post.

I'm assuming you are in high school.  Draw up a sketch of what I have outlined then ask your science teacher and shop teacher for suggestions and improvements.

If you are going to use shop tools to construct the stage be sure that you understand and follow all the safety rules - safety glasses, safety guards for power equipment, pusher sticks, etc.  Be sure the shop teacher knows what you intend to make and is there to be sure you follow all safety rules.  No experiment is worth an accident that can maim you.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow