Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,036Gear list
Like?
Re: Your 16mm (SEL16F28) examples...
In reply to SimonOL, Jan 18, 2013

SimonOL wrote:

DtEW wrote:

It has issues, for sure, both corner smearing and chromatic aberration.

The CA can be mostly handled in software, but it's a bit of a problem.  The corner smearing gets better as it is stopped down.  No, the corners are not super-sharp at f8, but as you say, it would be very odd to put such a valuable subject there that you'd need the highest level of detail right into the extreme corner.

As a practical matter, at f6.3, the corners just look slightly out of focus, and it just doesn't look all that bad.  You aren't going to notice it in an 8x10 print, as you've gone and cropped the corners.    You probably wouldn't notice it much anyway.

But it also has a lot of other strengths that make up for it. If you're the sort of person who wants something just to point at it and feel that it is good (so that you feel better about your own "standards" and fantasize about how well you can potentially shoot)... then the SEL16F28 is probably not for you. But if you're the sort that can take an imperfect tool and work around its pecadillos, you can get some great results with the SEL16F28.

I think that's the bottom line -- if the "corner softness" is going to bug you, just avoid the lens.  It's there.

I like to think I'm the latter!

I'm thinking that shooting in 16:9 would effectively crop off the effected corners?

If not all of it, certainly a good part of it.

Like you say, the lens is cheap (especially used). Accepting the limitations and the fact it seems to be the cheapest way to get a uwa lens, it looks like a decent addition to the kit lens which isn't great at 18mm. Agree?

Some people have posted that when they have compared to some of their legacy UWA lenses, they have found that the corners were not sharp there either.  So you do have to wonder if it's all that awful relative to the alternatives.  How else could you get an APS-C lens in a UWA for that money?

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow