Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
richard stone
Senior MemberPosts: 1,621
Like?
Re: Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!
In reply to DMillier, Jan 18, 2013

David, you should know a big part of the answer by now, which is micro-contrast. Or you could say edge roll-off. Resolution can be used as a catch-all term for why the images look good, but it leads to exactly what you are describing, a sort of "missing the point" result.

What we end up with in these discussions, at this point, seems to be you and a few others (raist, RonJG, and who knows who else) claiming that the differences and benefits are trivial, if they exist at all, that other cameras are better, etc. on one side, and on the other side other people (Michael Reichman, Quentin Bargate, the folks at the Fred Miranda forum, etc.) who are generally very pleased with the camera and the images. It is not so difficult for most people to decide who to believe. Particularly after they look at the posted images.

I can understand why some others wouldn't see the difference of the new Foveon cameras, but I do not understand, based on your work, how you can miss it. And although your contention that the difference is trivial for smaller images has some truth to it (certainly for images printed very small...), the point is that there are cameras that are excellent for making those smaller images, and they are in their own way limited to those purposes. And the people who are enthusiastic about the DP2M generally do not propose to use it as the "family" camera. Or make wallet sized prints.

Is the DP2M a camera for everyone? Probably not. Reichman says it is not, and he may have offended a few sensitive people by the way he said it. But I have seen good wedding images, good "street" images, amazing landscapes and still life pictures, quite usable product images And people that I think we can trust are very pleased with the camera, and say so repeatedly. On Luminous Landscape Reichman says very nice things about the SD1, and his fair criticism is much more about the way the camera was introduced and marketed by Sigma. What should be fun to see are the SD1M images with the new 35mm lens.

I just do not understand why this enthusiasm for a slightly different technology, a technology which seems to produce very pleasing results, is so troubling to people.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow