Mac mini 2012 performance with LR4, PS6 and AE 6

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
qstudios
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Re: Mac mini 2012 performance with LR4, PS6 and AE 6
In reply to henryk1, Jan 17, 2013

Like others have stated upgrading the RAM depends on the amount of work your are doing.  I upgraded the 2 @ 2012 Mac Mini's in my house, an i5 to 12GB of RAM and the i7 to 16GB of RAM.  I also upgraded the i5 to SSD + HDD (no fusion) using OWC's data doubler and a 128GB SSD.  To be honest the i5 feels just as fast as the i7 when running apps (iTunes, LR, iPhoto, Office, Safari, etc.).  I figure my next upgrade will be to add an SSD to the i7 and I should see a performance boost there (considering the faster proc and VRAM).

In terms of LR4 performance launch time on the i5 was 7 seconds.  Import of some edited TIFF files (200 - 300MB each, 1GB worth) took 4 seconds.  I then tried a couple of LR4 actions (all working from the SSD):

• full view 100% view of any photo took 7 seconds to present on-screen.
  • Export of full res JPG + screen sharpen takes about 5 sec per photo or 20 seconds for a batch of 5 images at the sizes mentioned.

Hope you can use those numbers to compare on what you have now.  I can't help on the CS6 performance on the mini, as I have neither loaded on those boxes.  IMHO add RAM, see how that works for you then hit the SSD upgrade (external or internal).  On internal option you can go Fusion or leave SSD + HDD separate, doing this will be a little more of a complex install.  If you go SSD only and put the HDD in external case then its almost as easy as installing the RAM.

qstudios's gear list:qstudios's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow