Aperture blades on SEL35f18 not fully retracting -- just my copy or is it really an f1.6 lens?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mike Wee
Contributing MemberPosts: 657Gear list
Like?
Re: Aperture blades on SEL35f18 not fully retracting -- just my copy or is it really an f1.6 lens?
In reply to Mike Wee, Jan 17, 2013

Actually, doing a bit more digging, it appears that the MaxAperture tag is actually stored inside the file as "MaxApertureValue", and it appears to mean: "The maximum aperture f number that you can achieve at this focal length"

So for the old kit lens at 18mm this value is 3.5 and at 55mm this value is 5.6. (as reported by EXIFTool)

Now, if you look at Microsoft's properties window, they drop the "value" and just show "MaxAperture" and instead of 5.6 they show 4.97 which is the Av value coresponding to f5.6. This appears to be a calculation done by Microsoft, unless I am missing something about EXIFTool.

So both are wrong. Sony saves an f number in a field caled "value" and Microsoft displays an aperture value in a field called aperture...

Somebody with a better understanding of EXIFTool chime in, is it possible they are the ones doing the calculation and Microsoft is displaying the raw values?

-- hide signature --

Ex-Tee-Eye * 50 1,8 * 17-85
En-Ee-Ex-5 * 16 * 18-55 * 55-210 * CV 35 1,4 * FD 50 1,4

Mike Wee's gear list:Mike Wee's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 400D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow