Started Jan 17, 2013 | Questions thread
William Porter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,670Gear list
Like?
Re: A99 vs A77, pros and cons
In reply to Michel J, Jan 17, 2013

Michel,

Yep, I believe it!

300mm on a full frame = 300mm on an APS-C sensor. That I understand. I use the word "reach" loosely and perhaps in way that sounds like I think something magical's happening, or like I think the lens on the APS-C has a magnifying or telescoping effect. I don't think that.

But on the A77, the sensor's 24MP are used to capture a smaller angle of view. It's not like taking the same shot with an A99 and simply cropping it. Because when you crop the 24MP capture from the A99, you don't end up with 24MP. Of course, you have to have a good enough lens to get good detail on the A77. But if you're capturing a smaller amount of the scene with the same number of pixels, you're getting finder detail. If this weren't the case, everybody would but a full-frame camera and one 35mm lens and just crop.

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow