Micro 4/3s, my next step Macro strategy.

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,872Gear list
Like?
Pretty much it really
In reply to clengman, Jan 17, 2013

clengman wrote:

I can't believe no one else is bringing this up, but I don't know what you getting on about with this "limiting DOF" baloney.

First and most importantly, your macro shots are very nice, but they have very thin DOF. What you have done well that not everyone does is to position your subject so that the thin depth of field includes a large amount of the subject showing a lot of detail. For instance in your first shot, the wing, foremost eye, part of an antenna and parts of the three closest legs are all coplanar and so they are all in fairly sharp focus. The other antenna though is completely out of focus demonstrating the very thin DOF.

In your 4th shot taken with your fz50, the DOF is also very thin. The eyes are in sharp focus the mouth parts and the back of the head are not. You placed the focus well, but there's nothing about the shot that indicates a large DOF.

Secondly, I think I should point out that regardless of focal length (Doesn't matter what lens or macro aids you use), given a constant sensor-size, magnification and aperture, the DOF will be the same. Said another way, DOF for macro photos depends on sensor size, subject magnification, and relative aperture.

Actually, I believe it's the case that if you compare different cameras with different sized sensors, if you use equivalent relative apertures, DOF depends only on subject magnification.

Thats pretty much it.   Work the angles and work them some more.

For higher ratio macro it comes down to more the selected focus point and angles than it does to anything else.

Its all a compromise and without stacking subjects at higher ratio, there is no real solution. At F/22 - F/32, with a 2:1 - 3:1 ratio, DOF is still super thin. At a 1:1 its not quite so bad.

You bring excellent points and one that prompted me awhile ago to set up a page on it. DOF vs Selective focus vs aperture, ahhh where is it.........

http://www.macrophotos.com/bia/dof/dof.htm

So thats with m4/3. I now shoot with the NEX-7 with an APS-C sensor. You can't tell the difference in DOF really. Its all about the ratio. The higher you go, the less DOF. Simple fact and doesn't matter what sensor size, the higher you go, the less DOF !!.

I used to shoot higher ratio macro with a Panasonic FZ-10 super zoom with stacked lenses, same thing, slim DOF. Can you really tell the difference, maybe but its hard to see it for a given ratio using the same F/stop.

At the end of the day if you simply want the best there is, grab a Canon DSLR and throw on the Canon MP-E 65 and work from a very close distance. Doesn't appeal at all, but if you want only the best, then there it is 1x - 5x and sharp as a tack

The cure is real easy to deal with, set F/11 - F/22, use a 1:5 ratio and crop into the image, you will get more DOF to play with and a lot of macro shooters do exactly that. Hence the look of more DOF. It also doesn't start out as a 1:1 though.

All the best.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow