Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 21,058Gear list
Like?
Re: Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!
In reply to DMillier, Jan 17, 2013

DMillier wrote:

I was merely expressing surprise at the poster's clients finding such a huge difference in resolution between mono and CFA sensors of the same type when there is that all that seemingly expert testimony backed by test results that suggests that Bayer reconstruction can recover a remarkable percentage of the bare sensor resolution.

If you want reliable Bayer demosaicing, then the generally accepted figure is that you need twice the amount of pixel for Bayer CFA than for a monochrome sensor. I.e. you get 70% of the resolution. And you need an AA filter.

If you want 90% of the resolution, I assume that is like riding a motor bike at 200 km/h at a narrow mountain road. It might just work - sometimes.

Seriously, though, why the discrepancy? Maybe the answer lies (as the Lula thread points out) in the vital importance of appropriate capture sharpening to overcome the acutance loss that tends to mask fine detail in the demosaic process?

Sharpening is essential for Bayer CFA images, at least if you use AA filters.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow