Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,985
Like?
Re: Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Jan 17, 2013

I was merely expressing surprise at the poster's clients finding such a huge difference in resolution between mono and CFA sensors of the same type when there is that all that seemingly expert testimony backed by test results that suggests that Bayer reconstruction can recover a remarkable percentage of the bare sensor resolution.

And the answer to the question about that last 10% is obvious: if you need an extra 10% of resolution, bump up the pixel count a little.

Seriously, though, why the discrepancy? Maybe the answer lies (as the Lula thread points out) in the vital importance of appropriate capture sharpening to overcome the acutance loss that tends to mask fine detail in the demosaic process?

I've been comparing Quentin Bargate's test images (DP2M vs Nex7/Zeiss).  I agree with his findings that the DP2M is outresolving the NEX but it isn't night and day. In fact, even pixel peeping, it's quite close. His estimate of 28MP equivalence might be pretty accurate. But during the comparison (using lightroom), it became remarkably obvious how easy it was to make one or the other of the images look dramatically better or worse using different amounts and styles of sharpening.

By the way, although Quentin has been converted to a huge fan of the DP2M, he doesn't overstate its capabilities or hide from its weaknesses which is refreshing.  He also thinks that its high resolution is not its main advantage i.e. he accepts there are many cameras that outresolve it from D800 to MFB (he owns a hassie back). It's the presentation or look of the files that seems to the main attraction. The presence or absence of the Foveon look is a long running debate beyond the DP2m.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow