acmedata
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
Re: LX3 versus proper camera
In reply to David Lal, Jan 17, 2013

David Lal wrote:

acmedata wrote:

John,

You'll be averaging 9 miles per day, up/down 3300' per day, possibly solo. That's a major backpack trip.

It sounds like you've sorta answered your own question...you want to complete the trip and capture images to document the journey and amazing landscapes. You don't need/want to haul lots of camera gear and have it get in the way of the hike.

I recommend a the best P&S you can find, perhaps an RX100 or LX7 or similar. Eight to ten ounces vs 30+ for a DSLR and zoom.

Tim,

What great images, especially #1. I'd love to do that 'walk'.

I have a tiny LX3 which I guess is similar to ther more recent LX7. I normally take it skiing with me - and I'm a serious off-piste skier. The main problem I have is remembering how to use it as it does not normally see a lot of use.

I have to say, quite often I get back and think to myself "I wish I'd taken a proper camera" but the pictures are not bad at all - and I do not have to take so many wives with me to carry the gear.

David

David,

The 'walk' to the Keyhole through the Boulderfield on Longs is actually a very straightforward stroll on a freeway-like trail (just a hefty elevation gain). After the Keyhole it becomes a Class 3 scramble with a bit of exposure. Here's a shot from the bottom edge of the Boulderfield (the Keyhole is visible just above and right of the largest snowfield).

Tim

north edge of Boulderfield, with Longs Peak at 14,255 feet

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow