Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,221Gear list
Like?
Re: Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!
In reply to DMillier, Jan 17, 2013

DMillier wrote:

Over on the Lula website forums there are some quite academic threads looking at the effects of the Bayer CFA on resolution. They have even developed special resolution charts to specifically test this that show that for AA-less sensors, the best modern demosaic algorithms can reconstruct 90% of the monochrome resolution. Obviously there are further losses if you use an AA filter (depending on its design) but even with normal consumer DSLRs it is usually considered they can recover 70% of the monochrome resolution.

90% ?

I might have to agree with Kendall here. Maybe the 10% lost is important 10%?

I dont think I ever would consider to use an AA free Bayer CFA sensor for astronomy, which was the topic of the post you answered to.

AA free Bayer sensors (with sharp lenses) are not reliable capturer of details. It might get sharp and it might look good, but each pixel is 2/3 computed, and that without the helping hand from an AA filter.

The AA filter less Bayer sensors are mainly for getting more crispness to your photographic images. They can be used for one more thing. Oversampling by taking several images, moving the sensor between images. Then the lack of AA filter is beneficial.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow