Your 16mm (SEL16F28) examples...

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
Re: Your 16mm (SEL16F28) examples...
In reply to DtEW, Jan 17, 2013

DtEW wrote:

It has issues, for sure, both corner smearing and chromatic aberration. But it also has a lot of other strengths that make up for it. If you're the sort of person who wants something just to point at it and feel that it is good (so that you feel better about your own "standards" and fantasize about how well you can potentially shoot)... then the SEL16F28 is probably not for you. But if you're the sort that can take an imperfect tool and work around its pecadillos, you can get some great results with the SEL16F28.

I like to think I'm the latter!

I'm thinking that shooting in 16:9 would effectively crop off the effected corners?

Like you say, the lens is cheap (especially used). Accepting the limitations and the fact it seems to be the cheapest way to get a uwa lens, it looks like a decent addition to the kit lens which isn't great at 18mm.  Agree?

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow