Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,637Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 and D800E
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Jan 17, 2013

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

Both of them "zoom to fill the screen is at 35%"

So why would Nikon bother to sell both models of the camera given they both do the same thing with the output? Might as well sell just one. They both "zoom" the same.

All this talk about % fillness is beyond me really.

But I think I understand why Nikon sells both a D800 and D800E.

The D800 is the "mainstream" variant, the one that most people are assumed to be attracted by. So ... its needed to keep sales up for the D800 pair.

The D800E is an experiment in technology and marketing. Nikon has chosen a quite cheap solution. The D800 has two LiNb slabs, crossed 90 degrees, as all normal AA filters. The D800E has the same LiNb slabs, but one is rotated 180 degrees. This will result in a camera with virtually no AA filter, at the same price as one with. No need for any special designs.

Nikon could instead have made the D800E without LiNb slabs, and using a glass window instead. A naive thought would be that this is even cheaper. But ... I assume that thought is wrong, and the redesign needed to get the camera up to spec is higher.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow